Research and Idea Development

I have been looking at different WWF adverts to get some inspiration and to see the different styles in which they attempt to reach the viewers. I also viewed their website to gain a good understanding of exactly what it is they do and what they stand for as I wanted to ensure that my advert would portray this. I have begun to think of ideas of which I have discussed with several people as I wanted to make sure that the story would be appropriate. I personally have a strong opinion that all living creatures are equal and should be treated so, I think that WWF endorse this idea from viewing their material. In particular, one advert that I thought was particularly effective and similar to my ideas was this one: http://youtu.be/JsViKFU63i4


"Our ultimate goal has always been “people living in harmony with nature” - so we're about respecting and valuing the natural world and finding ways to share the Earth’s resources fairly." - WWF


I have been thinking of effective ways to reach an audience and in my personal opinion, I am either affected by humour or sadness. Humour is difficult to execute correctly, also I don't think it would be particularly appropriate as the fact that there are many beautiful animals so close to extinction is extremely sad and serious. I also want to produce an advert that people can relate to therefore are more likely to empathise. When I think of 'sad' things that I have seen involving animals, I immediately think of Disney films such as The Lion King, when Simba attempts to wake up his dad. This impacted me particularly as the thought of experiencing what Simba was, was extremely saddening. http://youtu.be/LGtJn-L5xEs

Considering all of this, I have constructed a story involving a human baby crying in it's cot, the mother comes in and tends to the baby until the baby is no longer crying. Whilst this is happening, there is an outside view through a sniper scope with focus on the mother. As the tension builds and the viewer is unsure of what is occurring, the mother places the baby back in the cot and then gets shot. The message that I wish to convey is that it is not acceptable to do this to humans so why is it acceptable when it comes to animals? The baby in the cot would not be able to survive on its own, would a baby lion be able to survive without it's mother? Probably not.. I am thinking of having a scene with words of these effects and then a scene involving a wild animal that has been killed with it's baby next to it to reinforce this message. I have considered that this may be slightly blunt therefore I plan on implying the death with specific camera shots as I feel that showing the murder may be over the top. I feel comfortable with this idea as I feel that it will convey an effective and appropriate message.

The next aspect that I need to consider is the production of the animation. The purpose of the animation is to showcase my skills that I have developed therefore it would make sense to use my strongest skills which would be in 3D animation, in particular Maya. I have been focussing on developing my skills with Maya and in particular the renderer Mental Ray for around a year as I substantially enjoy producing 3D environments. I also want to challenge what I have learnt and my skills even further therefore I am going to attempt to construct a photo-realistic environment to the best of my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment